How to handle drag-and-drop to the desktop in Plasma 5?

Elvis Angelaccio elvis.angelaccio at kdemail.net
Tue Dec 1 13:46:49 UTC 2015

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 6:39 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> In Plasma 5 this does not work anymore, as kde-base repo has not been
> >> ported. But I see that drag-and-dropping files from Dolphin to the
> desktop
> >> works, so: where is Ark supposed to "register" this dbus method, in
> Plasma
> >> 5?
> >
> > Hi,
> > folderview is now in the plasma-desktop repository, in
> > plasma-desktop/applets/folder
> > It has been completely rewritten so something may have been lost in
> translation.
> > What was it doing exactly? was it folderview invoking a dbus method
> > explicitly on Ark?

Yes, it was invoking the method extractSelectedFilesTo of dbus interface
org.kde.ark.DndExtract, from line 2362 of
kde-base/plasma/applets/folderview/iconview.cpp

> plasma-desktop still have code specific to ark
>
> plasma-desktop/containments/desktop/plugins/folder/foldermodel.cpp
> L744 and ahead..

I see. Then I wonder what might be going wrong. From my limited dbus
knowledge I cannot tell whether it's Ark's or Plasma's fault.
Any help on this would be very appreciated, as dragging from Ark to the
desktop can be considered a major feature, currently broken.

Just a recap on the situation:
- Ark defines this dbus method in: ark/part/dnddbusinterface.xml
- Drag-and-dropping from Ark to Dolphin works
- Drag-and-dropping from Ark to Desktop or Folder View plasmoid does not
work - the dbus method seems to not be called at all

Also if I remember correctly, this used to work in initial plasma release..

> --
> Bhushan Shah
>
> http://bhush9.github.io
> IRC Nick : bshah on Freenode