Activity switching on window activation

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Dec 1 12:24:27 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:02:48 PM CET Marco Martin wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 12:14 AM, David Edmundson
>
> <david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 8:20 PM, Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> A long time ago, we decided that out of the following options, the
> >> first one was better:
> >>
> >> - (1) when a window is activated by external entity (a document opens
> >> in an existing kate instance that is on a different activity to the
> >> current one), kwin switches to the activity
> >> - (2) --||--, kwin moves the window to the current activity
> >
> > I think we should "copy" the window not move.
>
> yeah, the behavior i would see more "natural" would be the current
> activity added to the window activities, not moved

+1 - otherwise it would be possible to mark it as demands attention and a
window demanding attention gets automatically on all activities. The question
then would be what to do when the user switches to the demanding window:
should it switch to the windows activity (if it has multiple, to which), or
should it be taken to the current activity.

IMHO the root problem is that we still don't really have a clue how activities
fit into the window manager, that the implementation is just a copy of virtual
desktop code and so on.

Cheers
Martin