Minutes Monday Plasma Hangout

Jens Reuterberg jens at ohyran.se
Mon Aug 17 11:20:00 UTC 2015

On Monday, August 17, 2015 05:12:00 AM Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 4:42 AM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> > Present: Bhushan, David, Jens, Kai Uwe, Martin G, Ozark, Sebastian
> > Date: 17 August, 2015
> >
> > Bhushan:
> > - working on apps, first off comic book reader
> > - Looked into Plasma Moible on Archlinux:
> > https://github.com/bhush9/plasma-arch
> >
> > David:
> > - fixed some shoddy porting
> > - Fixed translations
> > - Fixed a bug in KScreen
> > - 5.4 looks pretty good, probably not a log of real bugs (or too little
> > testing!)
> > - will fix davetray after 5.4 is out
> >

> > Jens:
> > - visited GUADEC, GNOME struggles with many of the same problems as KDE
> > does
> Which problems are you referring to specifically? For those of us that
> weren't at GUADEC and are curious.

Well they have similar issues as us when it comes to things like dev-bleeding,
how to attract new people, retain people who are here, how to minimize the
threshold to get into KDE/GNOME and in general make our communities more
pleasant places to be in, work in and be part of.

That issue balloons into things like "What technical methods do we employ to
make contributing code easier" and things like "How to make sure our community
remain visible" and to "How to make sure the community remains independent
from companies and sponsors".

One proposal was to see if the people in Gnome working on that issue (Sriram
for example) could talk to people withing KDE who does the same thing (Like
Lydia) to at least compare notes. Why do twice the work independently when we
can help each other out.

Other issues was how to make certain the drawbridge is down between the Gnome
community and the KDE community. The fact that we know fairly little about
each other in comparison how theoretically close we are (and practically close
we could be) shows that we should see if we couldn't make that communication
simpler (outside of bugreports that tend to go into slugfests).

Just a shortlist of things...