Plasma Mobile Vision, intended personas & meeting notes

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Aug 11 11:13:57 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 01:09:15 Michael Bohlender wrote:
> Great work guys!
> I love the part about privacy and I can identify with the rest of the
> vision.

Cool, thanks for reading it critically and for the feedback.

> Some minor things:
>
> It provides a seamless experience across multiple devices.
>
> I guess your primarily mean devices running other Plasma "Experiences"
> (Desktop / PMC / whatever the future brings)
> Or do you want to explicitly include more?

No, but we also don't have to. We can try to be perfect and exact in the
wording, but then the text would be three times as long, bringing it to a
length that "nobody on the Internet reads". I think it's clear, if you think
about it, that this integration also depends on other devices, so that the
integration is not a given.

Also, don't confuse the vision statement with a marketing product vision. The
vision statement is mainly inward-facing, so we can look at it and measure our
deeds against it, not so much outward-facing. For marketing and communication,
we'd likely reword these things slightly, either for cover-your-ass reasons,
or to make it more eloquent, interesting or catchy.

> Also the wording is not perfect. It sound like plasma mobile will be on
> multiple devices that provide a seamless experience when used together.

That's what we wanted to express, though. :-) Think what we can bring t the
table with kdeconnect, for example...

> > Plasma Mobile implements open standards, and -- unlike Android -- it is
> > developed in a transparent process that is open for the community to
> > participate in."
>
> I am undecided on the "unlike Android" part. Could you share your reasoning
> for including it?

We decided to include it since it's important to set us apart. We've used the
template that Andres and Thomas presented during Akademy, and went from there.
I understand the reservations to name a competitor, but then, this is exactly
what people will ask and what we should make very straightforward to
understand.

In a TV ad, I'd probably refrain from naming Android as competitor, in a
vision statement, it helps to understand the independence and privacy
awareness that we're trying to communicate.
--
sebas