Qt 5.4 for workspace

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Sep 26 05:58:54 UTC 2014

On Thursday 25 September 2014 19:23:00 Eike Hein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're about to branch Plasma for 5.1 this week. Qt 5.4 is
> in freeze and is planning a final release on November 18th,
> which is six weeks shy of the 5.2 release in January 2015.
>
> Do we want to depend on 5.4 in master after we branch, or
> is this too compressed for 5.2?
>
> We also can't depend on 5.4 yet in frameworks, so this
> might hold us back regardless in case anything new we want
> to use needs changes across the stack.
>
> Thoughts?

I would like to have building as easy as possible. If we go for Qt 5.4 in
master after branching it would mean we depend on unreleased software and that
means hours and hours of compiling and linking fun for every developer. That's
especially something to keep in mind for attracting new developers and the
upcoming Google CodeIn (assuming it will happen).

So for me it's a -1 for having master depend on unreleased Qt.

Cheers
Martin