Announcing KWayland library

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Sep 19 09:06:56 UTC 2014

Hi plasma-devs,

as discussed on Monday's hangout I split out KWin's Wayland handling code into
a dedicated repository and library:

git clone kde:kwayland

The repository provides two libraries:
* Client
* Server

At the moment Server doesn't get installed, but is used for the auto-tests of
the Client library.

On a project level it's currently part of kde/workspace. We might consider
moving it to frameworks directly, but that still needs some work.

I spent some time on improving the base to make it more a library. All classes
use a d-pointer, no header includes the wayland headers, so everything is
nicely encapsulated.

As an example on how to use the library I ported KInfocenter to use KWayland
instead of wayland directly: [1]

For development of KWayland I demand unit tests for every change. I will not
allow code to go in without a test case for it and will bluntly revert any
direct push which doesn't include the test case for it. The library has quite
a decent test coverage already and I want that to improve.

Once the CI system is in place for the new library I will migrate KWin over to
it.

Cheers
Martin

[1]: https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/120279