VDG suggestions and wishes about the system tray

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 10:57:38 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 31 August 2014, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
>> >
>> > That said, I'm not against trying it.
>>
>> I think the first step towards that would be finishing a proper
>> cross-desktop specification so that it's clear what we want encourage
>> people to do. See my mail "State of the StatusNotifierIcon spec and
>> implementation".
>
> having a proper specification was blocked at the time by gnome, and all
> attepts to resurrect the process was met with as many roadblocks.
> with ubuntu, at least has been reached an agreement, not identical but at
> least applications do work on one another, and given the state of things, this
> is already amazing.
>
> final specification won't happen, at least not on freedesktop (and i don't
> think at this point any new meaningful work can happen on freedesktop at all)

Any objections to me trying?

I already have fd.o wiki access (I'm so important!) so I can at least
copy your website contents into the main place, we're listed under in
drafts so I can do that without discussion on their ML and it will
make it look way more "official" than it does now.

Then we can fire off a request to move it from "Planning" to somewhere better.

David