Klipper-port and clipboard synchronization between ports

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Sep 1 08:27:57 UTC 2014

On Thursday 28 August 2014 19:40:10 Victor Polevoy wrote:
> Hey all. I am thinking about making port of klipper to windows and mac.
> Also I want to implement clipboard history sharing between these clients.
> People in irc told me that this functionality partially implemented in
> kdeconnect. In my opinion it is better to move this implementation to
> klipper-core and use it from klipper, for example, by dbus calls.
>
> The reason of porting it and realize this functionality is that I am
> crossplatform developer who needs a lot of meaningless actions just to use
> clipboard. I think a lot of people here understand me.
>
> So, I want to receive your opinions..

Sharing my opinion as the Klipper maintainer: I like the idea of sharing
clipboards between devices. But I don't think that this is a functionality
which has to be implemented in Klipper. As others have pointed to you:
kdeconnect is the way to go IMHO. kdeconnect already supports sharing between
devices and AFAIK also between running kdeconnect daemons. Using kdeconnect
for it means following the good old philosophy of doing one thing and doing it
right. kdeconnect is the tool for sharing data between devices, klipper is the
tool for clipboard history.

That said: there is nothing wrong with extending klipper to better integrate
with kdeconnect. E.g. klipper could get the list of currently connected
devices and offer the functionality to sync a clipboard item to a specific
device.

Last but not least concerning a port to Windows: I do not know whether it's
possible. Klipper uses X11 code and that is/was the primary target of klipper.
Providing a clipbaord manager is in my opinion the task of the desktop shell,
in that case Windows. I'm not opposed to a port, but I won't be able to offer
any guidance for it or take over maintainership for it. We currently do not
have the infrastructure in place to ensure that it keeps compiling on Windows.
If your aim for the port was just to make it possible to sync the clipboard
the proper way would be in my opinion to port kdeconnect and leave klipper
untouched.

Cheers
Martin Gräßlin