VDG suggestions and wishes about the system tray

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 07:46:32 UTC 2014

On Sunday 31 August 2014, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:

> > That said, I'm not against trying it.
>
> I think the first step towards that would be finishing a proper
> cross-desktop specification so that it's clear what we want encourage
> people to do. See my mail "State of the StatusNotifierIcon spec and
> implementation".

having a proper specification was blocked at the time by gnome, and all
attepts to resurrect the process was met with as many roadblocks.
with ubuntu, at least has been reached an agreement, not identical but at
least applications do work on one another, and given the state of things, this
is already amazing.

final specification won't happen, at least not on freedesktop (and i don't
think at this point any new meaningful work can happen on freedesktop at all)

--
Marco Martin