Kubuntu and Plasma 5

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Mon Oct 27 15:11:35 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 03:16:52PM +0100, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Monday 27 October 2014 14:10:13 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > I'm planning out Kubuntu 15.04 and the biggest question is should we switch
> > to Plasma 5 by default.
> >
> > Personally I'd be very disappointed if we didn't and I feel the
> > stability is perfectly good enough and the main issue is some missing
> > features such as kcontrol modules which should be quite possible to
> > work on in the next 6 months.  The timetable is such that we'd end up
> > with Plasma 5.2 released in January with Kubuntu 15.04 released in
> > April.
> >
> > What do the Plasma developers think?
>
> can we do something to get it to Plasma 5.3? We would also release in April,
> wouldn't we?

I don't think so.  Both Plasma 5.3 and Ubuntu 15.04 are due to be
released next April.  We're wanting to delay the Plasma releases by
two weeks so their beta release can use the latest KF5 release which
makes the Plasma 5.3 release after Ubuntu 15.04 (vivid).  But even
without the Plasma schedule move it would still be released only 1
week before ubuntu which is when Ubuntu is in freeze and generally too
late to add any new upstream releases.

It's a bit disappointing to be releasing Kubuntu with a version of
Plasma that is nearly 3 months old but not much, for a long time KDE
releases were 3 months out of sync with Ubuntu and it ment we had a
nice 3 months to fix/workaround any bugs.  Plus we have backport
repositories.

Jonathan