QScreen vs. KScreen in plasmashell

Daniel Vratil dvratil at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 11:16:29 UTC 2014

On Friday 24 of October 2014 11:22:59 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Friday 24 October 2014 09:58:39 Daniel Vratil wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > the current state of multi-monitor support in Plasma 5 is rather bad as
> > both Plasma 5 and KWin keep crashing every time there's any change (+ the
> > desktop is extremely sluggish for about 15 seconds after that). Many
> > colleagues in my office would love to switch to Plasma 5 already, but
> > this is one of the major blockers that scares most people away, so it
> > needs to be fixed.
> >
> > I was looking into plasmashell code to fix it (and also for a different
> > reason, more on that later) and realized that the code is mixing use of
> > KScreen and QScreen, and I couldn't resist asking myself why. QScreen
> > provides subset of information that KScreen and all I can see in the code
> > is just endless conversion between QScreen and respective KScreen::Output
> > and hoping they both behave the same. Would it make sense to get rid of
> > QScreen completely and use KScreen exclusively? I think it would solve
> > most
> > of the crashes I'm currently getting. I'm of course volunteering to do all
>
> I don't think is 100% possible, in too many places tere is the assumption
> that window->screen() is actually the proper qscreen, (no not count inside
> the qquickwindows in qt as well, that would be impossible to change, such
> as the recent issue in Qt 5.3 of panels migrating screen spontaneously,
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/97050/) so it wouldn't help.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my original email: I intent to only look into
shellcorona.cpp and panelview.cpp. I don't want to remove QScreen completely
from entire plasma-workspace, that does not make sense. And of course where
needed (for instance where QScreen is exposed to QML from PanelView or
ShellCorona), I'd leave QScreen.

--
Daniel Vrátil | dvratil at redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
Software Engineer - KDE Desktop Team, Red Hat Inc.

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348