The usage statistics [kactivities, baloo, ktp, plasma]

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Mon Oct 20 14:53:26 UTC 2014

> One use case that we might want to consider is including email frequency

> when sorting contacts.

Well, I'd say sent e-mail frequency. I don't care that some person is
spamming

me often - I do care if I'm spamming them. :)

> What makes this very different from the rest is that the length of event

> doesn't really apply. I tend to write an email then fill in the address

> last, so kmail couldn't give accurate stats if it tried. and the length of

> time I spent typing might not have any impact.

For that, there is the Accessed event - like open/close without the
duration.

The same is needed for application launchers - the launcher has no idea for

how long an application was kept open, nor does it care.

> I'm a bit skeptical of the time tracking rather than usage tracking in

> general, if a user opens something 10 times and closes that quickly, it's

I guess it needs to be tested and coefficients adjusted.

> once and leaves open. We might need to have an API that doesn't pass a wID

> and just inserts an arbitrary time and/or a way to not put any weight on

For that, the accessed event exists. WID is only for the things that want

end up in ShareLikeConnect

Cheerio,

Ivan

KDE, ivan.cukic at kde.org, http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/