Should touch events update the cursor position?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Oct 20 12:35:40 UTC 2014

On Monday 20 October 2014 14:15:51 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Friday, October 17, 2014 07:26:55 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 October 2014 16:32:02 Weng Xuetian wrote:
> > > If we're talking about the cursor image moving or not, the cursor will
> > > hide
> > > on other platform if touch event comes int. The cursor position doesn't
> > > matter if there's no visual feedback (hover event).
> >
> > consider that the mouse could be moved at the same time as the touch
> > events
> > appear. This makes me very unsure about hiding the cursor.
> >
> > > As for mouse.pos(), this should always be updated, for example there are
> > > application use mouse position to implement visual drag'n'drop.
> >
> > On Wayland they get dedicated touch events. Applications relying on having
> > the  pointer position updated would clearly be an application bug.
>
> Or a feature.
>
> With forwarding touch events to mouse events, we can make a whole lot of
> applications "just work" with touchscreens. I don't see why we should not do
> that.

This is still inside the toolkit. It's not us who should send mouse events to
the toolkit. It's the toolkit's job to handle that correctly. My point still
holds: if it's not properly forwarded it would be a toolkit bug instead of an
application bug in that case.

Anyway we cannot and shouldn't do something like sending mouse events for
touch events on Wayland. For X11 windows the situation is different, but on
Wayland that could end up nasty in having the toolkit process things twice.

Cheers
Martin