Auto-hiding panels

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Oct 14 09:23:59 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 14 October 2014 10:43:42 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> Any opinions/objections?

as I implemented it this way I can share the reasons why I did go for re-using
the screen edge activation we have for other things. First of all:
consistency. All edges work the same way and users can expect certain
behavior: if the glow is shown one has to push against the edge to get
functionality.

Second reason: multi-usage of the edge: it's possible to use the edge multiple
times, so it should behave the same way for all of them.

Third reason: preventing unwanted triggering: the auto-hiding panel is there
for increasing the screen estate. With the panel unhiding without the push
back it will become difficult to use the newly exposed area. This is
especially important if one considers that not all pointer devices are very
precise and not everybody is able to use a pointer device in a precise manner.

Personally I don't care whether there is a pushback or not. From the
experience over the years with the screen edges I highly recommend to the
pushback, though.

Cheers
Martin