wallpapers on lock screen

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 23:01:19 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> this is already 5.2 stuff, but just to discuss.
> we still have one burned-in fixed wallpaper for the lock screen, so at this
> point it should get a bit of attention.
>
> one thing i'm not sure to do if i want to have again the possibility to put
> widgets in the lock screen as it was in kde4. there may be interests on it,
> but on the other hand i am not seeing much complaints that at the moment is
> missing.

Personally I think what the VDG designed ends up looking a lot better than
letting users drag some clocks and some post-it notes across the desktop.

Changing what is shown is currently is do-able with look and feel packages,
I don't think we need to create a second implementation in addition to
that.

> on either case, should be very easy to recycle the complete wallpaper
> mechanism of plasmashell, even the qml only wallpapers (that if animated..
> yay, screensavers!)

I'd quite like to use the wallpaper plugins from SDDM too; which means
exposing WallpaperInterface in a slightly different manner than you'd
probably be wanting to use for the lock screen, as I can't go via a
Containment.