wallpapers on lock screen

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Mon Oct 13 15:01:08 UTC 2014

On 13.10.2014 16:44, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> I think by default it should use the (current visible) desktop wallpaper
> in the lockscreen.

I think that's a bad default for security/privacy reasons. The
purpose of the lock screen is to avoid exposing system state
while the system is unattended; customization is system state,
and moreover custom wallpapers are even user data. The lock
screen should be generic and not pick up any user settings by
default for that reason (except those needed to interact with
the lock screen itself, e.g. the keyboard layout).

This is before we get into the fact that Plasma wallpapers are
technically code plugins and can be dynamic and even interactive
- *actually* picking up the current wallpaper would require kwin
participation o composite correctly, or running a second instance
of the plugin, and then you run into the difficulty of syncing
config and/or state correctly anyway. Just supporting images
would be an incomplete hack.

Still, adding the functionality to pick up the current or a
custom wallpaper is fine if done correctly, of course, but not
as a default IMHO.

> Cheers
> --
> Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer