Stress testing KWin's screen handling

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Nov 25 12:17:28 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I spent some time on screen management in KWin today and got it to the point
where it doesn't fail any more no matter what I try. So please everyone using
multiple screens and especially dynamically plug in and out, please give a try
to the patch set in [1]. Please ensure to have latest master as it contains a
crash fix for a crash triggered by the patch set.

Short summary of the changes in the patch set:
* uses XRandR instead of QDesktopWidget
* uses KWin internal information about overall screen geometry instead of
relying on the information in the X11 screen structure.

The second part is the code I added today. My testing showed that unplugging a
screen gives us proper XRandR events so KWin's internal is up to date, but the
X11 screen information is wrong. So when we partially used the one and
partially the other the rendering was just horribly broken. Now it's all based
on the KWin internal information and I couldn't get the rendering broken any
more.

When changing screens please be patient. It takes time to settle the changes.
Especially plasmashell takes quite some time on my system to render correctly
again.

I hope that it doesn't fail for others and we can get the changes in to
improve the situation.

Cheers
Martin

[1] https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/117614/