OSD and Notification Window Type

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 19:25:09 UTC 2014

On Monday 24 November 2014, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > First of all, the OSD uses the Notification WindowType, which - I think
> > there has been a bit of a miscommunication - is meant for notifications.
> > The OSD stays on top of everything, which is fine, but not the active
> > fullscreen window. I thus propose to have a window type/layer for the OSD
> > that stays on top of everything since I want to have volume feedback even
> > when watching a movie.
>
> +1 to that

shouldn't that window type be perhaps renamed in OSD to avoid future
confusion?

> > Furthermore, I've been using the notification applet with the
> > Notification window type and it was no pleasant experience. The popups
> > were always in the way, systray and other popups, even tooltips(!) were
> > covered by the notification popup. At the moment you can bring popups
> > above notifications by focussing the popup which is nice but there's an
> > issue where clicking a notification causes the popup to close, which
> > eats focus [1].
>
> tooltips should not be managed windows, but override redirect. From EWMH
> spec: "This property is typically used on override-redirect windows." - If
> Plasma is not using override redirect windows for tooltips this is a bug
> that should be fixed. An override redirect window is always on top of any
> window managed by KWin (e.g. the notifications).

plasma tooltips are override redirect yes

> Concerning other popups and the systray popups this need to be thought
> about what we want to achieve. Concerning the systray popup I think we
> rather found a weak spot in our setup: systray popup and notification
> using the same area on the screen might not be the best solution. Anyway

if the popup is open i think the notification should reposition itself to
accomodate that (both appearing on top or under the systray popup is quite
wrong, should simply be elsewhere).
I had a patch for it but was quite horrible, maybe i can give it another go in
a prettier way

--
Marco Martin