KHotkeys future

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 14:39:34 UTC 2014

I met up with Martin Graesslin and we had a discussion about which features
of khotkeys are still relevant, and how we will make everything work in a
Wayland world.

KHotkeys on receipt of a:
 - mouse gesture*
 - keyboard shortcut (via kglobalacceld)
 - window activating*

will:
- runs a command
- call a DBus method
- sends a key sequence*

Under Wayland, everything marked with a * won't work, mostly for security
reasons, which is something we don't want to undo.

Mouse gestures are not as important now. Qt APIs have improved enough that
we can do gesture support in the application, without needing a daemon to
translate.

Global gestures can be managed by kwin; ideally we should have an API
similar to kglobalacceld which  is moving into kwin soon.

Behaviour on window activation can be done by kwin scripts, and again does
not need a custom daemon.

Given that leaves khotkeys to just monitor globalshortcuts and simply
executes a command, it doesn't really need a whole daemon.

This means khotkeys can be killed and the remaining functionality moved
into kglobalacceld.

David