Plasma port to Wayland

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Nov 5 10:52:26 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 05 November 2014 11:43:28 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 November 2014, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> > > Having a lot of patches living in personal branches makes thing too
> > > hard and slow IMHO.
> >
> > on that I agree, but the answer to that problem cannot be that we don't
> > provide ABI for KWayland::Client. There must be a solution which allows to
> > move forward and keeping ABI at the same time.
>
> I throw it here and then run away in shame:
> what about a git submodule in the frameworks that need it so they have an
> internal copy?

That would be a solution to the dependency problem in KWindowSystem and is
part of the "need to discuss with frameworks".

Still I want to have KWayland::Client being ABI stable as it has it's
advantages for the modules in kde-workspace, too. The actual Wayland
protocol is stable and we can provide an ABI stable wrapper for it, so we
should do that.

Cheers
Martin