Plasma port to Wayland

Pier Luigi Fiorini pierluigi.fiorini at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 10:19:07 UTC 2014

> Hi Pier Luigi,
>
> Thanks for the updates, such a high-level overview is much appreciated. Some
> question inline below.
>
> On Monday 03 November 2014 12:45:14 Pier Luigi Fiorini wrote:
>> As some of you might know I've been working on the Plasma port to Wayland.
>>
>> I would like to give you some pointers where the on going effort is.
>>
>> Last month I've been super busy with other stuff, but I plan to resume my
>> work on Wayland during November.
>>
>> You can see it in action on my compositor, Green Island:
>>
>> http://imgur.com/8F4Emax
>> http://imgur.com/Q69CB2v
>
> Awesome. :)
>
>> Here's the components I've been working on:
>>
>>   - kwayland
>>
>> git clone -b plasma kde:clones/kwayland/pierluigifiorini/plasma.git
>>
>> The plasma branch contains patches to add Plasma protocols.
>>
>> The wlscanner branch makes use of the new find module for wayland-scanner
>> that I recently made; it can be merged as soon as a new ECM version comes
>> out, see https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/120656/
>>
>> All is currently rebased on top of master.
>>
>>   - kwindowsystem
>>
>> git clone -b wayland kde:clones/kwindowsystem/pierluigifiorini/wayland.git
>>
>>   - plasma-framework
>>
>> git clone -b wayland
>> kde:clones/plasma-framework/pierluigifiorini/wayland.git
>>
>>   - plasma-workspace
>>
>> git clone -b wayland
>> kde:clones/plasma-workspace/pierluigifiorini/wayland.git
>>
>> Ported ksplashqml and plasmashell (panels and desktop view); I'll reread
>> the patch when I get back to this stuff.
>> Review is not started: blocked by the review of my changes to kwayland.
>> Currently rebased on top of v5.1.0
>
> It would probably make sense to rebase on master, so the delta becomes a bit
> smaller. I think it's time to start shipping cookies to Martin Graesslin to
> keep him happy during extended reviews. :D
>
> Otherwise, we're waiting for the ECM to be merged? The RR has a shipit, so I
> guess that can go in, and we can proceed with merging other patches in. Do you
> need any help with that?

We have several dependencies involved here.

Me and Martin didn't want to merge the ECM patch for KWayland [1]
until ECM is actually released.
Will be merged as soon as ECM 1.4.0 comes out (1.4.0-rc1 got tagged
almost two weeks ago, I think we are getting close to release now).

KWayland was blocked on review: I addressed some of the issues on my
branch but we still have to figure out how to use the ConnectionThread
instead of going through QPA.
Was also missing unit tests due to lack of a compositor that could be
used for tests back then.
I have another branch that implements the Plasma protocol server-side
and that could be used to implement the unit test.

Once those two are in I can submit the plasma-workspace patch for review.

[1] https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/120656/

--
Out of the box experience
http://www.maui-project.org/