Starting KWin in Plasma startup process

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Nov 4 12:03:32 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 04 November 2014 08:44:48 Àlex Fiestas wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I have been working in KSMServer, mostly doing some refactoring in order to
> split the X11 code (session management) into its own process.
>
> The part I am splitting out right now (startup.cpp, startup.h) has a lot of
> specific code for "Launching the Window Management" and that is the reason
> of this email.
>
> Right now KSMServer executes the WM before anything else, once the WM is
> started (process is executed), other things are done (Autostart0).

the better question is why it cannot be in parallel? Why would the other
stages have a problem with no window manager being around?

> My idea for KWin is for it to handle startup by itself, and idea of how to
> do that:
>
> -Leverage systemd when available.
> -startkde.sh
>
> For this to happen we need to make sure that KWin does not talk
> synchronously to any component that might or might not be there when KWin
> starts (kded, klauncher...).
>
> What do you think?

Feel free to check the source base for where KWin talks to other components.
I'm not of any direct usage, but we are using frameworks (e.g. lots of
KServiceTypeTrader, KPluginTrader) and we have plugins which might do it (e.g.
Oxygen window decoration might do things, etc. etc.).

Cheers
Martin