4.x autostart compat

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Tue May 27 09:36:23 UTC 2014

Heya

Something that just occured to me is that it appears we currently have
no autostart compatibility with kdelibs4 applications. Namely when an
application installs an autostart desktop file in 4.x they'd end up in
$PREFIX/share/autostart which by default does not appear to be
searched by ksmserver unless one explicitly adds it to
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS.

How is this supposed to be done in production? Should the user/distro
set XDG_CONFIG_DIRS? And if so, what happens if the legacy autostart
folder contains legacy applications that are replaced by a kf5
version? (plasma-desktop/-netbook, baloo...).

HS