Plasma Addons

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon May 26 02:37:24 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 12:23 AM, David Edmundson <
david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> we've started to get bug reports on plasma-addons. It appears they're
> distributed as part of OpenSuse RPMs.
>
> Can I confirm our position on what we're doing here, based on our
> conversation last sprint.
>
> 1) They will not be released with the plasma release next month
> I think to do so would undermine the quality of anything we currently have.
>
> Plasma Next + 1 should be ok for any plasmoid that someone steps up to
> maintain (not just port).
>
> 2) They should have somewhere else in bugzilla than plasmashell
>
> I clean through plasma-shell every other evening, I know others do
> too, if we include everything under the sun it'll be plasma1 all over
> again. Stretched too thin.
>
> David

Hi,
Having a separate bugzilla component is obviously good as well as not
having them released makes total sense. I would add also that some will be
deeply missed like pastebin plasmoid or icon tasks but that's just how
things are. Sadly enough, QuickShare (former pastebin) is ported and quite
usable at the moment.

On the other hand I don't like the tone of the conversation, I read many
people here talking about these as if kdeplasma-addons was something
unneeded that some crazy people did some day. I'd like to note most of
these have been discussed here and even developed by people in this mailing
list and many of KDE4/Plasma 1 users rely on those.

Aleix