Plasma Package -> Application Extension Framework?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat May 24 19:11:38 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

first please apologize if this is already under way or done and I am just not
up to date enough :-)

Basically I was thinking about application scripting, allowing power users,
sysadmins, etc. to control or extend applications through built-in scripting
capabilities.

A couple of KDE applications do that already, e.g. Kate, but it is not a very
common features.
So my base line of thinking was that maybe we can help application developers
by having common code and tools available as a framework.

One of the features that would likely be interesting to most application
developers is how to handle installation and runtime detection of available
scripts.

Since I remembered reading about some form of packaging being developed for
Plasma years ago I went to TechBase and read up a bit on Plasma Package.

What are your opinions on having that in a generic "app extension" framework?
Are there any Plasma specific dependencies in the current code?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring