Notification bloat (4.xx)

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Fri May 23 20:58:21 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 8:41 PM, Christoph Feck <christoph at maxiom.de> wrote:
> On Thursday 22 May 2014 20:23:00 Mark Gaiser wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> First of all, i have no solution for this. I've just observed an
>> issue with the notification system that might benefit of
>> improvements when we all brainstorm here about how it should
>> behave. This is for KDE 4.xx, but i'm guessing the actual
>> notifications are the same in plasma next. Please do correct me if
>> i'm wrong.
>>
>> Just a few minutes i noticed a few things when i was:
>> 1. downloading a few files using ktorrent
>> 2. copying a few files in dolphin from X to Y
>> 3. wireless network connection lost
>>
>> Point 3 is obviously a notification i want to see and know about.
>>
>> But 1 and 2 are not notifications that i care about. I don't even
>> think they should be part of the "notifications" as they are now.
>> They should just be short lives messages to tell me something and
>> probably just disappear when they are not useful anymore. I don't
>> think they should be persistent and pile up in the notification
>> area as they do now.
>>
>> Slowly but steadily more applications start using the notification
>> area. Which is great, no doubt there! But the amount of persistent
>> notifications (that i need to click away for the notification
>> bubble to become clean again) is beginning to be annoying.
>>
>> What's your opinion here?
>
> I have disabled "File transfers and jobs" in Notification Settings.
> The old style progress window only appears when operations are not
> completed immediately, and closes without any trace once they have
> finished (unless I request to keep it open). Plasma notifications for
> "progress" type notifications should also work this way.
>
> If you want more opinions, please also read the bugzilla entries for
> plasma/notifications. Users there generally agree that the current
> notifications are not without annoyances.
>
> Christoph Feck (kdepepo)

Just out of curiosity, where did you find the option to disable "File
transfers and jobs"? I can't find it in system settings ->
"Application and System Notifications".. And i can't find another
place to change notification settings. I was expecting a right mouse
button on the notification bubble to give me a "Notification Settings"
but there is nothing like that.