Notification bloat (4.xx)

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Fri May 23 08:16:03 UTC 2014

Hey,

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 8:23 PM, Mark Gaiser <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all, i have no solution for this. I've just observed an issue
> with the notification system that might benefit of improvements when
> we all brainstorm here about how it should behave. This is for KDE
> 4.xx, but i'm guessing the actual notifications are the same in plasma
> next. Please do correct me if i'm wrong.
>
> Just a few minutes i noticed a few things when i was:
> 1. downloading a few files using ktorrent
> 2. copying a few files in dolphin from X to Y
> 3. wireless network connection lost
>
> Point 3 is obviously a notification i want to see and know about.
>
> But 1 and 2 are not notifications that i care about. I don't even
> think they should be part of the "notifications" as they are now. They
> should just be short lives messages to tell me something and probably
> just disappear when they are not useful anymore. I don't think they
> should be persistent and pile up in the notification area as they do
> now.

In Plasma Next, the notifications stack/history now contains only and only
persistent notifications, all the rest just flies by and disappears forever
after the timeout.

Slowly but steadily more applications start using the notification
> area. Which is great, no doubt there! But the amount of persistent
> notifications (that i need to click away for the notification bubble
> to become clean again) is beginning to be annoying.
>
> What's your opinion here?

The job's notifications in particular are handled by the notifications/job
plasmoid itself, so it would be easy to adjust once-for-all. Thinking about
the file operations, I would agree that the notification does not need to
be persistent. If you go away from your computer and a job finishes in the
meantime, you can tell it's finished once you get back because the job is
no longer running and/or because you see the file in the destination (in
your open Dolphin window for example).

Thomas - what's your opinion here? Should notifications about file
operations be persistent or not?

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer