Notification bloat (4.xx)

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 18:23:00 UTC 2014

Hi,

First of all, i have no solution for this. I've just observed an issue
with the notification system that might benefit of improvements when
we all brainstorm here about how it should behave. This is for KDE
4.xx, but i'm guessing the actual notifications are the same in plasma
next. Please do correct me if i'm wrong.

Just a few minutes i noticed a few things when i was:
1. downloading a few files using ktorrent
2. copying a few files in dolphin from X to Y
3. wireless network connection lost

Point 3 is obviously a notification i want to see and know about.

But 1 and 2 are not notifications that i care about. I don't even
think they should be part of the "notifications" as they are now. They
should just be short lives messages to tell me something and probably
just disappear when they are not useful anymore. I don't think they
should be persistent and pile up in the notification area as they do
now.

Slowly but steadily more applications start using the notification
area. Which is great, no doubt there! But the amount of persistent
notifications (that i need to click away for the notification bubble
to become clean again) is beginning to be annoying.

What's your opinion here?

Best regards,
Mark