Ship with Aurorae and Qtcurve or not...

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu May 15 12:28:49 UTC 2014

On 15.05.2014 14:10, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Thursday 15 May 2014 14:08:29 Sebastian Kügler wrote:

>>> well, one problem is..
>>> the applications are indeed, still kde4
>>> right now ported there is systemsettings, konsole, kwrite and uhm that's
>>> about  it.
>>
>> QtCurve is also there for Qt4, no? In that case, can't we share the theme
>> and make both, Qt4 and Qt5 apps looks the same that way?
>
> yes, but we would change it also for their KDE 4 setup.

Can't we put advice like this out there for packagers:
"If you ship both Plasma Next and Plasma 4.X in your distribution, just
leave everything as it is. If you create a spin with only Plasma Next,
set everything to Breeze by default"
Then if people install both in parallel, they get a consistent Oxygen
look, but if they try out Plasma Next in a special live CD (like Neon
5), they can try out Breeze without messing with their KDE4 settings.
And in our marketing screenshots we always use Breeze.
I don't think that many people will install Plasma Next in Parallel to
Plasma 4.X anyway. The vast majority will probably only judge Plasma
Next from screenshots, some more will try it out in a live session with
a special ISO, the very adventurous will just replace Plasma 4.X with
Next, and then some more will install both in parallel to try them out.

Btw, to illustrate the reactions, see this Google+ thread [1] for a
comparison of the reactions to the screenshot with Oxygen to the one
with Breeze. Yes, these are only a few people, but it represents what
I've seen pretty much everywhere I looked so far.

[1]
https://plus.google.com/+%D0%90%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%9A%D0%BE%D0%B7%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9/posts/8CzHcXZwzNP