Dual Monitors

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Mon May 12 22:32:39 UTC 2014

On Mon, 12 May 2014 03:11:16 PM Marco Martin wrote:
> > > NB - Plasma2 (via project neon) is unbelievably slow on my PC, a good
> > > 10-20 seconds to bring up the KDE menu etc, though it is faster the
> > > second time. All screens are very slow the first time round.
> > >

> > > Is this normal at this stage? - Intel i5, nvidia with the binary blob.
> >

> > Definitely not ideal.
> > The fact that we have debug builds of Qt is part of the reasons for
> > the slowness and this will go away when we make a release. It is not
> > the only reason, there is definitely some work left to do.
>
> yes, but still, the described situation is not normal, here it's not
> remotely  that slow even when running from an usb stick on an old atom
> netbook, where i test it sometimes just to see how it goes on extremely
> crappy hardware

I did a bit more testing, changing from lightdm to kdm, fiddling with the
compositor settings, didn't seem to make a difference.

It definitely improves the longer I use it, but seems to start from scratch
after re logging in.

I did notice that kbuildsycoca5 is pegging the cpu, up to 100% of a core at
times. Not all the time, but obviously in response to graphical events, e.g
opening the kde menu.
--
Lindsay