Plasma 5?

Jens Reuterberg jens at ohyran.se
Mon May 5 18:08:52 UTC 2014

I hate to play the devils (or in this case Martin G's ;) ) advocate but these
are the issues that will crop up:

People love names to be able to say "I use umptybump and not bippitbop". This
will make people want to know what version they have in the beginning of the
process. The upside with the whole "plasma by kde" thing or for that matter
"Plasma Next" is that it informs users what it is - the cool thing about
Plasma as term is that its caught on more or less without push in the VDG
forums. That and "Plasma Next"/"Plasma Current"

But there will be an overlap where people will out of pure confusion go
"Plasma 5" or "KDE 5" - this can't be avoided. Not this late in the game (but
on the other hand it wouldn't have been avoided with the date numbers either).

But there are ways to promote the new name - some of whom I mentioned to
Sebas:

The goal is to separate the two brands "KDE" and "Plasma" or to show that they
are connected as one is made by the other but not one and the same.
To do this we need to create our own form of branding and marketing. It
doesn't matter if we scream it at the top of our lungs if the promo adress
still reads "KDE" or the way we say it (dot-article) is still identical with
"KDE".
KDE and Plasma are intertwined so hard that we shouldn't even mention KDE
except as a "by KDE" addendum. The visuals the design the language all have to
be reworked and revamped to better show that there is a distinction between
the two. Yes it's true it is made by KDE but we don't have to say that - its
even positive if people assumed the opposite and claim that we are "moving out
on our own" because then they will have to ask us and we can say "No its just
that KDE is one thing and Plasma is another". For every flamer like article
certain blogs write we are simply doing ourselves a favor.

We don't FORCE the issue "oh don't say KDE 5 say Plasma" we just repeat what
they said and exchange KDE for Plasma. We try to force the hashtag
#PlasmaByKDE on Google plus and Twitter.
We also instead of saying "Oh its Plasma 5/2/2014.6" say "The current version
of Plasma" or "The coming new version of Plasma". Leaving numbering way
behind. That will result in some confusion in which we will all have to have
our ears to the rails and make certain that whenever someone says "So what is
that? KDE 5?" we can go "No its the next version of Plasma by KDE and its
'Plasma 5/2/2014.6'"