Locale settings in Plasma Next

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon May 5 14:44:34 UTC 2014

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 20:10:31 John Layt wrote:
> One question is when these changes to the envvars will get applied, and the
> action required to apply them to the apps.  I believe Gnome forces you to
> log out and in again before the new envvars are applied.  In KDE4 you could
> simply restart individual apps, but to update Plasma itself you had to log
> out and in.  Do we update the envars as soon as the KCM changes are saved,
> which would allow apps to simply be restarted, or would that be considered
> dangerous for running apps that assume the envvars won't change, e.g. would
> something like glibc immediately pick up the change and return inconsistent
> results?

I'd say let's try writing out the envvars immediately, we'll see soon enough
if things break. (Which to me would be application-level bugs, but if they're
too bad, we might want to indirected the setting.)

John, you said that you started splitting the locale KCM already, is that work
already available somewhere? I could put some time into trying to get it up to
scratch for an initial release. (To me, right now, even disabling the locale
KCM altogether is better than keeping it as-is.)

sebas