Changes in plasma desktop scripting

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Mar 29 17:19:59 UTC 2014

On Saturday, 2014-03-29, 17:44:48, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Friday 28 March 2014 21:56:55 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > I might be confusing terminology but aren't desktops and activities
> > orthogonal concepts?
> >
> > E.g. like having a work and home activity and having a desktop setup with
> > 6
> > virtual desktops?
>
> in this case desktop = desktop containment.
> in the first draft i had "containment" but then, is just desktop
> containments and there also panel containments, called Panel

Wouldn't it be then make more sense to use "desktopContainments"?

And isn't this a rather invasive change behavioral wise?

I mean if you currently have a script that addresses activities you would then
(after porting) have a script addressing containments?

Or did the old API not actually address activities and you are fixing that
misnaming?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring