cyclic dependency kwin <> plasma-workspace

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Mar 24 06:33:23 UTC 2014

On Monday 24 March 2014 01:35:00 Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Saturday 22 March 2014 10:29:31 Treeve Jelbert wrote:
> > > kwin requires KSMServerDBusInterface from plasma-workspace
> > > plasma-workspace requires KWinDBusInterface from kwin
> >
> > We are just in the process of splitting the repositories. This will all
> > soon
> > be sorted out.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Martin
>
> He's still raising a good point. :)
>
> Should kwin depend on plasma-workspace or plasma-workspace on kwin? If so,
> how do we solve the difference?
> This is not solved by our splitting proposal [1].

Given that KWin is a window manager which is useable without Plasma I want to
have it not depend on the workspace.

The dependencies are currently just three DBus xml interfaces:
* org.kde.kappmenu.xml
* org.kde.KSMServerInterface.xml
* org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver.xml

The screensaver should probably be provided by something more generic?

The other two could be either copied directly to KWin or just be changed to
not use the xml interface. Also we could investigate whether they are still
needed or could be solved differently. AFAIU kappmenu is not going to be
released in 2.0 and is an optional build dep in KWin anyway. KSMServer should
be investigated whether that's still needed.

In the other direction I'm not sure why anything depends on KWin at all.
Oxygen should depend on libkdecoration - that's obvious.

> Or maybe kwin should be in plasma-workspace?

No, that sounds like an easy path just because we don't want to investigate
;-)

Cheers
Martin