Plasma media center with Plasma next in this GSoC

Bhushan Shah bhush94 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 05:13:54 UTC 2014

Hello!

During this GSoC I want to work on this project Integrate Plasma Media
center with Plasma Next [1] and I have already submitted my proposal
on google melange [2]

However yesterday after discussing on IRC I realized this project can
be done in other way. Current plan is to port it to Qt5 and KF5 and
integrating with plasma-shell during GSoC. But other way that I am
thinking is,

- Roughly porting Plasma media center to qt5 and KDE Frameworks 5
before Google summer of code. I already have rough port of lib. [3]
- Since plasma-shell is not designed to behave like standalone
application, develop plasma-windowed which can behave like standalone
application
- Integrate PMC port with Plasma Next using plasma-windowed.

That way both Plasma Next and Plasma media center will benefit. I like
this approach but I want to check with others. So if you think this is
better idea I will edit my proposal accordingly or re-submit(?) it.
Deadline for submitting proposal is two days away.

Thanks!

[1] http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2014/Ideas#Project:_Integrate_with_Plasma_Next
[2] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/student/google/gsoc2014/bshah/5649050225344512
[3] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=clones%2Fplasma-mediacenter%2Fbshah%2Fpmc.git