Meta key and Qt (Re: kglobalaccel fixes)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Mar 16 16:20:08 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 11 March 2014 13:54:56 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> One thing is a bit puzzling, perhaps someone knows how to go about this:
> The  meta key behaves different now, when I edit a shortcut, it's accepted
> as soon as I press the meta key, so it's not seen as a modifier, but as a
> key of its own. This means that one can effectively (through the GUI) only
> assign "meta" to an action, but not, for example meta+arrow_left. Any ideas
> how to best fix this?

Could be a bug in the XKB code inside Qt. I tried to look into it, but ....
how do you actually get a meta key in the first place?

I tried rebinding the Windows key to Meta in xmodmap [*], and it works in
`xev`, but the keyval in Qt is Qt::Key_Multi_key which activates compose
sequences in this file:
qtbase/src/plugins/platforminputcontexts/compose/qcomposeplatforminputcontext.cpp
Looks like this code works on keycodes, not keysyms, so it basically ignores
my xmodmap configuration.

[*] keycode 133 = Meta_L Meta_L Meta_L Meta_L