Bughunting Season!

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 14:50:47 UTC 2014

On Sunday 09 March 2014 14:00:25 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> With the feature freeze looming in less than 24 hours, it's time to shift
> or focus to quality improvements. We have a whole bunch of new
> awesomeness, and perhaps even more new ideas. For now, we'll have to take
> a step back and admit that we can't do everything at once, and concentrate
> on what we have created and put in place so far. We want to create this
> stable baseline which we can make work really well, and then, only then
> think about architectural and feature improvements again. For now, it's
> time to stabilize, fix regressions, fix bugs in order to make the stars
> align for a good first release of Plasma Next.
>
> That means that we also need to shift our work to a slightly different
> process. I'd like to include in our Monday meetings a shortlist of "most
> important bugs to tackle", so that we don't get lost in the sheer number of
> them, not all bugs are equal, and some are definitely more annoying than
> others. In order to get a quick overview of bugs that affect us, you can
> use the following predefined search:
>  https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=runnamed&namedcmd=plasma-shell&li
> st_id=942085
>
> In order to file new bugs, please place them under the plasma-shell product
> for now, so we can more easily keep track of them. We will need some more
> refined bugzilla strategy here, but for now, this at least helps to not
> lose overview on the critical issues. (Just to make sure: the bugs are
> assigned to my by default, that doesn't mean they'r taken: If you plan to
> work on a certain bug, check back quickly on IRC, leave a note in the
> bugreport, or make it clear otherwise, so we prevent duplicate work.)
>
> We'll also open up for feedback from the community shortly, with the Alpha
> release that will be tagged on Thursday (and likely be released the Tuesday
> thereafter, stability permitting).
>
> For now, though, arm yourself with coffee/tea/hot beverage of your
> choice/cold beverage of your choice/cookies/more than one of the above,
> some patience, and a relentless sense of quality and let's

If you like, we could do a article like [1] on testing but I'd need to know
what to test and what changes you want to the article, like in the area of
bug reporting (I'll just copy it over and adjust it for your use case).

/J

[1] http://dot.kde.org/2014/03/12/applications-413-coming-soon-help-us-test