kglobalaccel fixes

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Mar 11 12:54:56 UTC 2014

A quick heads-up: I'm looking into what's broken in our global shortcuts.
Here's a quick run-down of my findings so far:

kglobalaccel has some brokenness in it. It used to poke into the privates of
KGlobalShortcutInfo in order to create its own object in a cast. This code is
disabled right now since the kglobalaccel (from kde-runtime) can't see the
privates of KGlobalShortcutInfo (in frameworks/kglobalaccel). This is a
porting problem which can be worked around by copying the header in. I think
that's fine as a solution right now, since it will go away again quickly, once
kde-runtime is split up. This makes exporting shortcut info from kglobalaccel
work for me.

Editing shortcuts also has problems. We introduced a new parameter there,
actionType, which tells whether the shortcut is an application shortcut, a
widget shortcut, a global shortcut, and so on. Now there's one role in the
model which doesn't know about this new API, and that's the role that allows
to edit the shortcut -- the result: global shortcuts can't be edited. I have a
patch fixing that, but need to test it a bit better.

With that in place, I could add a global shortcut to kwin to trigger the
desktop grid effect -- hooray!

There's a bunch of other bugs in there, connected to storing and loading
shortcuts which I'm also looking into.

One thing is a bit puzzling, perhaps someone knows how to go about this: The
meta key behaves different now, when I edit a shortcut, it's accepted as soon
as I press the meta key, so it's not seen as a modifier, but as a key of its
own. This means that one can effectively (through the GUI) only assign "meta"
to an action, but not, for example meta+arrow_left. Any ideas how to best fix
this?

More hacking ensues...
--
sebas