Runners KCM

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Mon Jun 30 15:12:01 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Hans Chen <hanswchen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Was it decided that KRunner will be used as the default search interface
> in Plasma 5?
>
> I personally still think that it's misleading to use the term "search"
> when referring to KRunner.
> Sure, it does search for some things, but to me it's defined by the
> actions it can perform, and those are not restricted to searching.
> (For example, why is "Calculator" a search plugin? Unit converter? Those
> runners that let you control your audio player?)
> An analogy would be Wolfram Alpha, which is used to search for information
> and solutions; however, I wouldn't call it a "search site".

Yes. You're quite right.

Can you think of some better names? Possible options that come into my mind.

1. Search and Run
2. Search and Launch

I add (3) because yes "unit conversion" and "calculator" isn't related to
search, but many search backends seems to offer these kind of functionality
as well. Eg - Google, Spotlight. Regarding, controlling music, one could
still club that under searching as you are "searching for an action". We
use the word "search" over here as an active role the user has to play, in
contrast to a more passive form of "Browsing".

> What I'm getting at is the following:
>
> 1. From the screenshot it looks like the dialog is located within the
> Search KCM (if that's incorrect, you can safely ignore this point).
> That can easily give the wrong impression, since KRunner works perfectly
> fine without having Desktop Search (Baloo) enabled.

As Thomas mentioned, the Baloo search is being renamed to "Search Backend",
though I am considering naming it to "File Search Backend" since that is
all it does.

> 2. Instead I propose to give KRunner its own KCM module (not sure what to
> call it) with the following:

The KCM is now in master.

> - Short description of what it does (probably not possible now due to
> string freeze?).

Yes. I had been thinking along the same lines.

> - Ability to configure the shortcut to activate it.

I'm on it.

> - List of plugins to enable/disable.

I'm confused. Isn't that exactly what the screenshot provides?

--
Vishesh Handa