Plasma 5: Roadmap post 5.0

Bernd Steinhauser linux at bernd-steinhauser.de
Wed Jun 25 21:01:55 UTC 2014

On 23/06/14 17:27, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Monday 23 June 2014 16:56:55 Marco Martin wrote:
>> On Monday 23 June 2014, Rohan Garg wrote:
>>> Hi everyone
>>> I was wondering, has there been any discussions on whether or not bug
>>> fix releases for Plasma 5 will be provided after the 5.0 release? Or
>>> will users simply have to wait for the next 5.1 release to get bug
>>> fixes?
>>>
>>> There also doesn't seem to be any indication of what the time frame
>>> will be between Plasma 5 releases ( I was told 3 months by some
>>> people, this doesn't seem to be written down in a wiki page).
>>>
>>> Would be awesome if someone could indicate what the roadmap is after
>>> the Plasma 5.0 release :)
>>
>> I assumed there would have been monthly bugfix releases as in 4.x?
>
> +1 on monthly bug fixes.
>
> Concerning feature release: for KWin I would like to get to a six week
> schedule (for Wayland porting) and a synced with bug fixes release together
> with plasma. For Plasma I could imagine anything between 3 months and 6
> months. 3 months might be a good idea to bring important features back as soon
> as possible.
If we as distributors are not expected to ship it as a default desktop, is there
much point in releasing bug fix releases?

So why not—for the first months after the initial release—go for rapid releases
that bring both bug fixes but also missing features that users will want anyway?

Plasma Next already works quite well, at least the parts that are there. The
main showstoppers imo for a broader range of users are missing features, i.e.
plasmoids.

 From the distributors point of view, for an experimental software like plasma
next, that is mainly targeted at bug finders, testers etc., I would rather like
to ship the most usable version, not a first stripped down version with just a
few bugfix releases.
Don't get me wrong, bugfix releases are very important, but I'm sure that the
bugfixes go into feature releases, too. ;-)

Best Regards,
Bernd