Plasma 5: Roadmap post 5.0

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Jun 23 16:20:00 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:

> David Edmundson wrote:
> > If we did that if someone had a fatal crash they wouldn't be able to
> > contribute to testing for 3 months, which would be a shame.
>
> Good point. Though, those do not need to be bugfix-only releases then. But
> ok.
>
> Aleix Pol wrote:
> > I thought we agreed that this message doesn't work and we want people to
> > trust our release as much as possible.
> > One thing that is very important is to warn users that newer Qt versions
> > might fix their workflows.
>
> Well, it might be my pessimism, but I don't want us to repeat the history
> with
> this one. Is Plasma 5 really ready for a day-to-day replacement of 4.x for
> an
> average user? Are the distributions up to the task this time?
>
> " trust our release" is what we did before, and it backfired. Hugely.
>
> Cheerio,
> Ivan

I don't really think the problem is the distributions there. Actually if
5.1 is going to be any stabler, it will be because of the testing we get by
the users.  If you look at the bug tracker, there's not that  much bug
reports open that will render your life miserable.

We want distros to package it, we just don't want people using 5.0 when 5.1
is released, it's not very hard to understand that 5.1 will be stabler.

Aleix

PS: The 4.x argument is becoming KDE's own Godwin's Law.