Background for login, splash, and lockscreen

Andrew Lake jamboarder at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 07:25:35 UTC 2014

Hello all,

With the sharpness of the default background image in the login, splash and
lockscreen, both the foreground and background appear to be in focus -
causing a slightly uncomfortable lack of depth. Things seem to look better
with a defocused and slightly dimmed background - the foreground appears
sharp and in-focus relative to the background and the fade-to-desktop
effect with the default wallpaper has the pleasant visual side effect of
appearing to bring the desktop into focus.

Before I could get a screenshot my local neon install kinda flaked out. So
I've provided a link to the defocused and dimmed background image. I'm
hoping someone can try it out locally before I commit. It replaces the
background.png file in lookandfeel/contents/components/artwork and
lookandfeel/contents/splash/images.

(Also I'd be fine if the same thing were accomplished programmatically
instead.)

New background file:
http://wstaw.org/m/2014/06/21/background.png

Could someone try this out when you get a chance? I'll commit if there are
no objections.

Thanks,
Andrew