kwindowsystem high level functions

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Jun 16 13:48:59 UTC 2014

On Monday 16 June 2014 15:34:13 Damian Ivanov wrote:
> I mean you read a property from one class and write to it in a differen
> class? How can I use kwindowsystem to close a window in wayland (isn't
> QX11Info::dispay required in netwm) ?

not at all as there is no Wayland backend in KWindowSystem :-) Let's care
about Wayland when we have to care about it.

NetWM is a class which is X11 only. It will never be possible to use it with
Wayland and it's not intended to be used for it. We will have to see whether
we need something low-level for Wayland, too. I don't know yet, but such code
will not start to be written in KWindowSystem but most likely first somewhere
like libkworkspace. It will need some time to get used to the new world and
that's something where we need to experiment first before going for public
API.

Whether closing a window is something which will be needed for Wayland in
KWindowSystem is quite questionable. If at all it's the taskmanager, no other
client should be allowed to perform such a task. So most likely it will be an
exposed interface between Plasma and KWin to allow Plasma to perform such an
operation. Then I don't see much need to expose it in a high level API, if
there is exactly one application which is allowed to use it.

Cheers
Martin