Activity switcher problems [for Plasma and KWin teams]

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Tue Jun 10 22:21:23 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 11 June 2014 00:01:52 David Edmundson wrote:
> > 1) Make opening the activity switcher fast. That would need to throw away
> > the lazy loading that we currently have. And I'm not sure that would be a
> > sufficient improvement.
>
> Note that a debug build of Qt makes a humongous difference to the

That is a good point, though I guess it mimics slower computers. (I don't want
to benchmark against an 8core cpu :) )

My fear is that, for some reason, we are slow to open a dialog. But that might
be just a feeling due to the other delays.

>  - ActivityCreationDialog is created on load. twice.
> This can and be in a Loader, and maybe we can make only one instance.
> - ActivityItem should set a source size on the wallpaper image.
>  - There's an add animation which due to the model being async means
> the initial items get animated in. This will make things look slower
> than they really are

Will try that, also I'll try to make some improvements to the model updating.

> KActivities::Consumer class
>
> The shell also has an instance of this class.

Yes, just wanted to mention that it would not add (much) complexity.

Cheerio,
Ivan

KDE, ivan.cukic at kde.org, http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/
gpg key id: 850B6F76, keyserver.pgp.com