Visual design for logout/login/lockscreen

Bernd Steinhauser linux at bernd-steinhauser.de
Thu Jun 5 18:46:09 UTC 2014

On 08/04/14 11:58, Jens Reuterberg wrote:
> Well the issue is that we have to start being careful what gets crammed in and
> if too much is crammed in how to hide it away.
> The point is that too many options visible would be problematic since the main
> point of a login is to have a place to pick user and to write in passwords.
I think that having the layout selection somewhere on the login screen is
crucial as well.
Actually not just the layout, but the layout *and* the variant.
For some foreign users, this would be helpful to actually login. I'm glad that
sddm finally provides that option.

Actually, I think that in this case, there is a pragmatic solution. In [1],
there is a language selector. This could be used to actually show a dialog where
you can pick language, layout and possibly even the time zone without crowding
the interface. But to make this choice more obvious, the button should show a
flag like the keyboard selector usually does.

> We could cheat and use an "advanced" button - but thats not really a very
> elegant solution unless done carefully.
>
> Oh and I did a really messy wireframe animation for the fade-to-desktop/splash
> animation where we build on the login screen. Just as an example of way to
> integrate the two.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/xt24ay5c444xzk2/test.mp4
I like how it "opens" to reveal the plasma session, but I don't like the effect
before. For me that's just a bit too much animation. If you could do just the
second one, I would like it more. ;-)
It would be possible to use the login screen layout for this.

On 05/04/14 00:32, Andrew Lake wrote:
 > Hope this is helpful and please let me know if there are any questions,
 > Andrew Lake
I don't like the background, but that's just a matter of taste. I do like the
layout, though. Two questions:
- What about accessibility?
- What about hidden users (meaning users that are not shown on the login screen
but may still login)?

Anyway, keep it up. This is certainly a good improvement over the past login
screens. :-)

Best Regards,
Bernd

[1] http://wstaw.org/m/2014/04/06/login_with_session_and_language.png