Alternatives config

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Wed Jul 23 11:40:28 UTC 2014

On 07/23/2014 12:35 PM, Marco Martin wrote:
> opinions?

Hmm, let's talk about Task Manager ...

I'm bringing back Icon Tasks for 5.1, and it would be nice to also
ship Netrunner's Expanding Icons Taskmanager (similar to Icon Tasks,
but launchers expand into regular tasks with labels when run, and
all windows appear on the bar, grouped together and drag as one).

I'm conflicted whether to make these different behaviors full-blown
alternatives entries, or just options in the config dialog. The
alternatives UI does change the discoverability equation a bit, but
still. Thoughts?

Also, under the hood ... considering alternatives UI perhaps
encourages going with the "multiple widget list entries" approach,
it would be nice if the platform made it easier for widgets to
derive from each other / share code.

E.g. KRunner has a mechanism whereby multiple .desktop files for
the same plugin can be installed, and the plugin parameterized via
keys in the .desktop. With this Task Manager might be one package
(and one translation catalog, etc.), but multiple .desktop files,
and the rest happen internally.

Of course there are some other ways for code reuse like trying to
share imports between widget packages.

Cheers,
Eike