4.x transition blockage - workspace libs

Michael Palimaka kensington at gentoo.org
Mon Jul 21 19:28:36 UTC 2014

On 07/18/2014 06:54 PM, Harald Sitter wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Michael Palimaka <kensington at gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> I  just discused this with mgraesslin on IRC and he's fine with adding
>>> a compatibility build flag to 4.x that makes it only install the
>>> necessary libraries to avoid file conflicts with plasma-workspace 5.
>>>
>>> Does that sounds suitable for gentoo and if so, do you guys want to
>>> come up with a patch? :)
>>
>> I'm very interested in this, but what did you have in mind - a collision
>> is a collision, right?
>
> As far as I can tell the colliding bits are:
> a) certain binaries/data/nonesense
> b) all libfoo.so files
> c) the include directories (assuming neither plasma5 nor kde-workspace
> were put in an explicit subdir)
>
> So, to get the first collision out of the way kde-workspace needs a
> flag to not build or install those bits (i.e. build in a library
> compatibility mode).
>
> The latter two could be addressed by renaming the libraries in plasma5
> to libkworkspace5.so etc. and respective include directory names. What
> I am not sure about here is whether there are more suitable
> distro-level solutions to this. Surely libfoo.so (libfoo.so.0) and
> libfoo.so (libfoo.so.1) conflicting cannot be a new issue, so I do
> wonder how this would be resolved in general.
>
> HS

I'm very interested in renaming libkworkspace in Plasma5 at a minimum.
What do you suggest for the include directory - just kworkspace ->
kworkspace5 or go further and make the whole thing KF5Workspace?

I'm happy to provide patches, but didn't so far since there was
resistance to the idea last time it was brought up.