Wayland plasnning meeting notes

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 13:06:52 UTC 2014

This is hopefully a synopsis of what has been said in the wayland planning
meeting.

If I got something wrong, please reply in the thread the correction ;)

mgraesslin:
* will give a talk on the current state at akademy
* it probably does not make any sense to start working on other parts before
at least the basics are ready in KWin
* Weston as a development target will not give us much to work on Plasma

plfiorini:
* would like to write the plasmashell and test it in another compositor (not
weston) at the same time you can wrok on kwin
* is pushing for QtWayland release together with Qt 4.4, let's see if that
happens

Sho asks if couldn't we write a kwindowsystem backend that speaks xdg_shell to
the compositor?

Mgraesslin:
wouldn't help, because xdg_shell is for taking with other windows - no need to
have that in KWindowSystem as QtWayland needs to speak it.
This is an implementation detail, and should not be public api.
The idea is to get the Wayland backend into KWin and map all relevant
information to an X11 window. Wayland windows would still be valid X11
windows. Libtaskmanager would then still work and will make possible a step by
step transition, and would allow to reuse a lot of current code in KWin.

Also part of the same plan, libtaskmanager should be plugin based.  If we go
that road we could implement the required plugin in libtaskmanager first
without having to go all public directly.

Discussion then gone a bit over Dialog: it needs to position itself with
global coordinates and know the screen geometry. some changes in wayland, or
the plasmashell->kwin protocol will need to allow global coordinates for
windows.

plfiorini: seems decision is leaning towards not having a system compositor.
mgraesslin: kwin needs one:for 2 reasons: we can't have hardware specific code
(like rendering on raspberry codepath) and kwin should not be privileged. So
KWin may use the fullscreen shell of Weston as system compositor, different
from the old concept of system compositor.

mgraesslin: the wayland part of KWin will be quite standalone and isolated, so
can be used as an integrated Wayland server, usable for integration tests

Plasmashell relies heavily on KScreen that may pose a problem: it will need
either to have KScreen supporting Wayland internally or to be ported again
back to QScreen, needing QScreen to be fixed on both X11 and Wayland.

Shadows should still have a protocol similar to now, to be painted by kwin and
not by the window. In the same way output only windows should have a protocol
for that instead of playing with masks, the general direction is to have
protocols shell->kwin instead of windows working around problems.

plfiorini says he may have a draft of the palsmashell->kwin protocol spec open
for comment around middle of August.

--
Marco Martin