Release communication: Icons looking out of place are expected artifacts of the transition

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Jul 15 11:05:25 UTC 2014

Dear Plasma 5 promoters,
people in the VDG forum have noticed that some icons in applications
(and in some places in Plasma) look different in different sizes with
the Breeze theme and that looked like a bug to them [1].

However, Uri, the man behind the new icons, pointed out in the forum
that these are artifacts of the transition between icon themes, due to
a) applications re-using icons for the wrong things (like using the same
icon in the toolbar and in the content area or using application icons
within the application itself)
b) the icon theme still being incomplete, so that Breeze icons are mixed
with Oxygen icons

This will all go away once applications fix icon usage and the Breeze
icon set becomes more complete.

In order to keep people from thinking that the VDG are idiots or
starting to file tons of icon-related bugs, we should communicate that
we are aware of these inconsistencies and they will be addressed over
the next releases.

If you have any further questions, I'm sure Uri or Jens can answer them.
Cheers,
Thomas

[1] https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=121300&p=315312#p315268