Plasma shell -> Mediacenter

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 08:46:48 UTC 2014

On Saturday 12 July 2014, Shantanu Tushar Jha wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> The frameworks branch of PMC now contains a Plasma Shell which basically
> loads the required QML components and looks/works exactly the same[1]. So
> technically we are good to go if a user wants her desktop to be a media
> center.
>
> However, it'll be nice if we can discuss on how the actual workflow could
> be for a user. Here are some things I can imagine-
>
> * User can have a mediacenter activity which she can switch to for getting
> the multimedia experience.

I'm not sure how much it can work as activity,
if you want that tough most o the mediacenter UI QML should be moved in  a
single containment (that may be good as well) while now is iirc mostly in the
view of the desktop package

> * Or, maybe she can configure the mediacenter shell to activate whenever an
> external TV screen is connected (through HDMI or something).

it could either switch the shell or just launch the standalone application
(launching the application should be easy, maybe configurable from kscreen
kcm?)

> * The device is a dedicated mediacenter device - the user tells Plasma to
> always load mediacenter instead of deskop

I think there should eventually be a session shipped by it so is just possible
to login into it from the login manager

--
Marco Martin